Universities Space Research Association EVA Software Engineer III in Houston, Texas
USRA is an independent, nonprofit research corporation where the combined efforts of in-house talent and university-based expertise merge to advance space science and technology. USRA works across disciplines including biomedicine, planetary science, astrophysics, and engineering and integrates those competencies into applications ranging from fundamental research to facility management and operations. USRA engages the creativity and authoritative expertise of the research community to develop and deliver sophisticated, forward-looking solutions to Federal agencies and other customers - on schedule and within budget.
Software Engineer III, a key member of the data integrations team, will design and develop many types of software to specifications including software and tooling for data manipulation and intelligent high-performance web applications. The engineer will be responsible for managing operations of various aspects of the data integration platform and making high-level architectural decisions. The engineer will also oversee and mentor a small team of developers and be able to perform task-reporting functions.
- Strong programming skills; logical, critical, and disciplined thinker; focus on developing algorithms; analyzing and solving programming problems
- Meet with project stakeholders to obtain or develop application requirements as well as desired application performance and capabilities. Additionally, collaborate with customer and internal team to estimate time schedule, cost constraints, and feasibility to accomplish required outcome
- Collaborate with stakeholders and software development team to design application and its subsystems as part of the overall integration platform
- Design, develop, and modify software systems, using scientific analysis and mathematical models to predict and measure outcome and consequences of design
- Modify existing software to correct errors, add new features, or to improve its performance
- Perform administration functions on the platform’s development and staging environments
- Manage participation in production operations activities such as change requests, change control boards, and change windows
- Manage participation in weekly IT Working Group meetings for group reporting and high-level decision-making.
- Manage platform authentication and authorization components using agency SSO systems
- Participate in internal code reviews and manage the software build and integration pipeline
- Participate in and review data modeling activities.
Education: Bachelor of Science in Computer Science required or equivalent years or experience
- 7+ years of software development experience
- Experience with UI technologies such as HTML5, CSS, and templating languages (XSLT knowledge desired)
- Experience with multiple operating systems: Linux, Windows
- Experience in software source control, inter-process and network communication, and protocols such as HTTP
- Experience with Amazon Web Services
- Familiarity with Single Sign-On systems
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
- In-depth knowledge of software development cycle, object-oriented software design and development, inter-process and network communication
- Excellent written communication skills along with strong organizational, critical thinking, and interpersonal skills.
- Ability to think independently and strategically and assess solutions for short and long term goals
- Demonstrated ability to interact effectively in an interdisciplinary team of scientists as well as independently
- Establish effective collaboration and interactions with diverse levels of staff
- Eagerness to coach and mentor junior developers
- High-performance Java servlet-based web applications
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office and its applications
- Infrastructure: Virtualbox, AWS, Linux, Windows
- Software and data stores: Elasticsearch, MySQL, Apache web server, Alfresco Content Management System
Must be a U.S. Citizen. No sponsorship will be provided for this position.
Applicants should apply to the posting at https://usracareers.silkroad.com/ and include a letter of interest, resume, or curriculum vita. Review of candidates will begin immediately. Additional information on USRA can be found at www.usra.edu.
USRA is an Equal Opportunity Employer Minorities/Females/Protected Veterans/Disabled/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity
Tracking Code: 616-1600
Job Location: Houston, Texas, United States
Position Type: Full-Time/Regular