Microsoft Corporation PRINCIPAL SOFTWARE ENGINEER in Redmond, Washington
The internet is a dangerous place; you can’t read a news site, blog, or listen to a podcast without hearing about another cyber-attack. A huge reason the internet is perilous is also key to what makes it indispensable - the networking and connectivity. Microsoft is committed to delivering the technology to enable the “secure, connected, enterprise.” To make that promise a reality, this means providing simple and reliable Virtual Private Networks (VPNs) that are a crucial piece of core platform technology and cloud services. We are the Stack Services team, and we own the technology and services that powers, among other things, the data protection, roaming, and secure enterprise connectivity experiences. We are looking for a Principal Software Engineer to join the VPN team.
The charter of that team is to:
• Provide an in-box VPN client allowing enterprises to seamlessly connect to their enterprise network on any Windows based device
• Provide a platform for 3rd party vendors to integrate their VPN capabilities with Windows
• Develop a new cloud service to provide end-to-end enterprise connectivity as well as data privacy for consumers.
• To make it super easy for organizations of every size to use VPN so everyone gets the benefit of trusted networking no matter where they go; to democratize VPN.
The ideal candidate is an experienced engineer who has a passion for networking technologies who would like to be part of growing a high performing engineering team. As an engineer for this critical set of capabilities you will be working with a team of engineers to assure data on devices is always current and always reliable. You’re the kind of person where milliseconds matter, and correctness and COGS is paramount. People live their lives and plan their days around what you do so you are determined to do it flawlessly. You will help develop the long-term vision and the robust, scalable and extensible architecture to achieve low latency perfection. You will be responsible for development, scheduling, validation and delivery of components and features. Previous experience with building scalable cloud services is a must as you will be building a new cloud service. You will have an opportunity to help build a services culture on the team. You will coach and mentor junior members of the team and work with members of the team to deliver amazing results according to schedule with the highest quality. You demonstrate cross-group leadership skills by effectively working across teams and thrive in high pressure environments.
Primary Job Responsibilities:
• Write clean well thought out code with an emphasis on quality, performance, simplicity, durability, scalability, and maintainability while also mentoring others to do the same.
• Provide critical thinking, technical innovation, and attention to detail while serving as a trusted advisor in the team.
• Execute on the team approach to Software Engineering by designing, coding, test automation, testing, debugging, building, and deploying.
• Use telemetry to improve the features and improve satisfaction
• Gain a deep understanding of Microsoft businesses and collaborate with multiple partner teams to implement cohesive end-to-end experiences for our customers.
• BS in computer science and 10+ years software development experience OR 12+ years software development experience
• Deep experience in developing network technology
• Passion for iterative development and ability to design for robustness, longevity and extensibility across version
• Expert development skills in C++/C#
• Design and development experience with distributed systems and operating systems
• Previous design and development experience with scalable cloud services (e.g., bing, SQL Azure, Azure, ExO)
• An interest in building a team with a services mindset in the Windows STACK Services team
Microsoft is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ancestry, color, family or medical care leave, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, physical or mental disability, political affiliation, protected veteran status, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws, regulations and ordinances. If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability during the application or the recruiting process, please send a request to firstname.lastname@example.org. Development (engineering)