Indian Health Service Billing Technician in White Earth, Minnesota
Become a part of an innovative, dynamic, nationwide organization of dedicated health care providers working to meet the individual health care needs of American Indians and Alaska Natives. Indian Health Service (IHS) employees are considerate in our care, creative in our approach, enthusiastic about our work and compassionate with our patients.
Our lifestyle is adventurous, community oriented and focused on service and problem solving as part of a professional interdisciplinary team. Join us in improving the health outcomes of 2.2 million American Indians and Alaska Natives.
The purpose of this position is to abstract and interpret data from records in preparation and submission of third party claims. This position is located in the Business Office.
Organizational Location: Department of Health and Human Services, Indian Health Service, Great Plains Region, Bemidji Area, White Earth Service Unit, Business Office, White Earth, Minnesota.
The IHS is required by law to give absolute preference to qualified applicants who meet the Secretary of the Interior's definition of Indian for appointment to vacancies within the IHS in accordance with established IHS policy as outlined in the Indian Health Manual Part 7, Chapter 3. The IHS is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
- Prepares and submits claims to third party payers, intermediaries and responsible parties according to established clinic policy and procedures
- Searches and retrieves patient health records to gather and compile information for billing for outpatient services
- Maintains files on pending and completed claims
- Prepares reconciliation and recapitulation of third party billing to assure collections, billed data, and reports are in balance
- Respond to inquiries and requests from various sources and provide follow-up
- Occasional Travel
- Travel may be required for training and/or other work related duties.
Who May Apply
This job is open to…
Candidates eligible under Indian Preference appointing authority; all Federal employees serving on a career or career-conditional; Reinstatement eligible; Veterans Preference including Veterans Employment Opportunities Act of 1998 (VEOA); Career Transition Assistance Plan (CTAP) eligible; Interagency Career Transition Assistance Plan (ICTAP) eligible; Schedule A; and/or PHS Commissioned Corps Personnel.
Questions? This job is open to 5 groups.
- Selectee will be subject to a pre-employment fingerprint check.
- Selectee will be subject to a background investigation.
- Selectee will be subject to a probationary/trial period.
- ESEP appointees typically serve two year trial period.
- More than one selection may be made from this announcement.
- U.S. Citizenship is required
- Selective Service Registration is required for males born after 12/31/1959
- (Delete if not applicable) Confidential Financial Disclosure Form required.
To qualify for this position, your resume must state sufficient experience and/or education, to perform the duties of the specific position for which you are applying. Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service programs (e.g., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional; philanthropic; religious; spiritual; community; social). You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer and part time experience. You must clearly identify the duties and responsibilities in each position held and the total number of hours per week.
BASIC REQUIREMENT(S): GS-06: One (1) year of specialized experience equivalent to at least the GS-05 grade level.
GS-07: One (1) year of specialized experience equivalent to at least the GS-06 grade level.
Specialized Experience: Experience that equipped the applicant with the particular knowledge, skills, and abilities (KSA's) to perform successfully the duties of the position, and that is typically in or related to the position to be filled. To be creditable, specialized experience must have been equivalent to at least the next lower grade level. Your resume must demonstrate at least one (1) year of specialized experience equivalent to the next lower grade level in the Federal service obtained in either the private or public sector performing the following type of work and/or tasks:
For a GS-06 Level, you must have one year of specialized experience that included duties such as: Searches and retrieves individual patient health records to gather and compile information for billing. Maintains identified corrective action received from Fiscal Intermediaries or third party payers to be shared or communicated with supervisor. Bills applicable agency for services provided to patient, completes required billing forms, reviews billing forms for accuracy. Maintains files on pending and completed claims. Prepares reconciliation and recapitulation of third party billing to assure collections, billed data and reports are in balance. Responds to third party requirements on post-payment reviews, exclusions, denials, and appeals.
For a GS-07 Level, you must have one year of specialized experience that included duties such as: Prepare and submit claims to third party payers, intermediaries and responsible parties. Prepares and reviews billing reports. Maintains identified corrective action received from Fiscal Intermediaries or third party payers. Maintains files on pending and completed claims. Verifies that medical records contain proper documentation in accordance with regulations, including proper diagnoses, physician signature, accurate dates of medical care services, and that primary care providers are in compliance with attestation and billing requirements. Compiles and types correspondences to Federal, State, and local agencies regarding third party insurance claims. Prepares authorization for release of medical information, assignment of benefits, and other authorization for obtaining prior approval and pre-certification. Initiates the referral of potentially third party eligible patients to the Patient Benefits Coordinator or Social Service agency in obtaining health insurance.
Time-In-Grade Requirements: Merit Promotion (status) candidates must have completed one year of service at the next lower grade level. Time-In-Grade provisions do not apply under the Excepted Service Examining Plan (ESEP).
You must meet the requirements of the job by 11:59 pm (Eastern Standard Time) of the closing date: Friday, August 25, 2017
Public Trust - Background Investigation
What To Expect Next
You can track the progress of your application package via your USAJOBS account. You will receive an acknowledgement from USAJOBS that your submission was successful once we have received your on-line occupational questionnaire, resume, and any supporting documentation. You will be notified of the status of your application via your USAJOBS Account after we conduct a qualification review of your complete application package. You will be contacted if further evaluation or interviews are required. Any exaggeration of your experience, false statements, or attempt to conceal information may disqualify you for employment consideration. We may verify all information you provide in your resume and questionnaire responses, through reference and/or background check, and/or verification of your education. If you are selected, you will be contacted personally by the Human Resources (HR) office posting this announcement.
You will no longer need to call the HR Office to determine your application status. USAJOBS has added an alert setting to their system to provide status updates for applicants. You can elect to activate the status updates from your USAJOBS profile at any point during the application process.
If all required documentation is not submitted with your application you will lose consideration. It is the applicant's responsibility to verify that information and documents entered, uploaded, or faxed is received, legible and accurate. HR will not modify answers submitted by an applicant.
Indian Health Service is an Equal Opportunity Employer
You can review our benefits at https://help.usajobs.gov/index.php/PayandBenefits
- This position is covered by a Bargaining Unit.
- This position has a promotional potential to the GS-07 grade level. Promotion to the next grade level is at managements discretion and is based on your demonstrated ability to perform the higher level duties, the continuing need for the higher level duties, and 'Regulatory/Administrative' approval. Promotion to the next higher grade level is not a guaranteed and no promise of promotion implied.
- Federal Employees earn annual leave at a rate (4, 6 or 8 hours per pay period) which is based on the number of years they have served as a Federal employee. IHS may offer newly-appointed Federal employees credit for their directly related previous non-federal experience or active duty uniformed military service. This credited service can be used in determining the rate at which annual leave is earned.
CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT:
- Security Clearance: If you are selected for this vacancy, you must undergo a pre-employment fingerprint check and background investigation. Fingerprint results and background investigation documentation must be cleared prior to hire. You will receive instructions on how to obtain and submit fingerprints and background investigation documentation. After you begin your employment, your continued employment is contingent upon the outcome of a complete background investigation as determined by the sensitivity level of your position. The investigation must find that you are suitable for Federal employment in your position. If you are found not suitable, you will be terminated after you begin work. If you make a false statement in any part of your application, you may not be hired; you may be fired after you begin work; or subject to possible criminal charges.
- Measles and Rubella immunization required for selectees born after 1957. Seasonal influenza immunization is required for civilian health care facility staff working in Indian Health Service health care facilities.
IHS - Operated Properties are tobacco free
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/476884100. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.
Open & closing dates: 2017-08-11 to 2017-08-25
Salary: $36,611 to $52,893 / per year
Pay scale & grade: GS 06 - 07
Series: 0503 Financial Clerical And Assistance
Appointment type: Permanent
Work schedule: Full Time
Job announcement number: IHS-17-BJ-1999209-ESEP/MP
Control number: 476884100