National Park Service Maintenance Mechanic Supervisor in Chincoteague, Virginia
Experience your America and build a fulfilling career by joining the National Park Service, as we prepare for a second century of Stewardship and Engagement. Become a part of our mission to connect with our past and create important connections to the future by building a rich and lasting legacy for the next generation of park visitors, supporters and advocates. A park can be many different things to many different people. Find your park today!
Learn more about this agency
As the Virginia Maintenance Supervisor for the Assateague Island National Seashore, you will have supervisory responsibility over the maintenance, repair, and construction of administrative and historic buildings, roads and trails, beaches, and bridges. Specific duties include:
- Supervising journeymen in a variety of trades and crafts, including heavy equipment operations, electrical, HVAC, plumbing, carpentry and painting;
- Planning, scheduling, and executing approved work;
- Reviewing work completed by staff and contractors to ensure it meets Park goals and qualilty standards;
- Overseeing mowing and grounds work; trash removal; utility system repairs and upgrades; and vehicle and equipment repairs;
- Coordinating work activities with other departments and agencies; and
- Assisting with the preparation of annual operating plans, cyclic maintenance, and associated budget and resource requirements documentation
Occasional travel - You may be expected to travel for this position 1 - 2 times a month.
- #### Job family (Series)
4749 Maintenance Mechanic
Conditions of Employment
- You must be a U.S. citizen or national.
- May be subject to a one-year probationary period.
- Appointment subject to background investigation and favorable adjudication.
- Ability to lift 50 lbs
- Must currently possess a Class B or higher Commercial Driver's License (CDL) and must be able to obtain a Class A CDL within one year of start date.
- Ability to obtain and maintain a Level 1 Contracting Officer's Representative Certification (COR)
- Required to wear NPS uniform while on duty
- Selectee will be required to participate in the Direct Deposit Electronic Funds Transfer Program
In order to be qualified for this position, you must possess the ability to lead or supervise staff performing a variety of maintenance and construction tasks. Your experience includes interpreting blueprints, specifications sheets, and other similar documents to carry out a variety of maintenance and construction projects; identifying the materials and resources needed to complete a project; providing guidance to lower graded employees on safety and technical practices; coordinating and reviewing the completion of work to ensure it meets established specifications and deadlines; and maintaining reports and records related to work completed.
All requirements must be met by the closing date of the announcement.
Travel, transportation, and relocation expenses will be paid if the person selected for the position is from outside the local commuting area and is otherwise eligible for reimbursement of relocation expenses under the Federal Travel Regulations (such as current permanent Federal employees).
Males born after 12-31-59 must be registered or exempt from Selective Service
Career Transition Assistance Program (CTAP): For information on how to apply as an ICTAP or CTAP eligible see http://www.opm.gov/policy-data-oversight/workforce-restructuring/employee-guide-to-career-transition/ctapguideline.pdf. To be well-qualified and exercise selection priority for this vacancy, displaced Federal employees must be rated at 85 or above on the rating criteria for this position.
If you are unable to apply online or need to fax a document you do not have in electronic form, view the following link for information regarding an Alternate Application.
This announcement may be used to fill one or more positions.
How You Will Be Evaluated
You will be evaluated for this job based on how well you meet the qualifications above.
Once the application process is complete, a review of your resume and supporting documentation will be made if you are within reach of selection and compared against your responses to the assessment questionnaire to determine if you are qualified for this job. The numeric rating you receive is based on your responses to the questionnaire. The score is a measure of the degree to which your background matches the knowledge, skills, and abilities required for this position. If, after reviewing your resume and or supporting documentation, a determination is made that you have inflated your qualifications and or experience, you may lose consideration for this position. Please follow all instructions carefully. Errors or omissions may affect your rating.
Under competitive merit promotion procedures, the highest-rated candidates will be referred. Under non-competitive procedures, all eligible applicants will be referred.
Your qualifications will be evaluated on the following competencies (knowledge, skills, abilities and other characteristics):
- Ability To Handle Weights and Loads
- Ability To Interpret Instructions, Specification, etc. (includes blueprints reading)
- Ability To Lead Or Supervise
- Ability to plan and organize work
- Ability To Use and Maintain Tools and Equipment
- Knowledge of materials
- Technical Practices (theoretical precise, artistic)
Background checks and security clearance
Q - Nonsensitive
- Required Documents
The following documents are required and must be received by the closing date of this announcement:
- Your Résumé which includes a list of all significant jobs held and duties performed, with dates specified in month and year format, and indicate hours worked per week.If military or civilian, please include your rank and/or grade.
- A complete Assessment Questionnaire
- Other supporting documents, if applicable
Due Weight for Performance Appraisals and Awards: Please submit a copy of your most recent performance appraisal/evaluation and a list of any incentive awards (e.g. superior performance awards, special act or achievement awards, quality step increase, etc.) you received in the last 5 years. Any performance appraisal/evaluation and incentive award documentation you provide will be forwarded to the selecting official. The selecting official will use this documentation to assign a due weight point value to be considered during the overall selection process. If you do not have a current performance appraisal, please submit a statement as to why it is not available, and if it was at an acceptable level. If you fail to submit this documentation, it will result in no points being assigned by the selecting official during the selection process.
Current DOI employees: Your most recent Notification of Personnel Action (SF-50 or equivalent) showing that you are/were in the competitive service, as well as the highest grade (or promotion potential) held, on a permanent basis and containing information which shows you meet time-in-grade (e.g., STEP increase, etc.)
Land Management Workforce Flexibility Act Eligibles:SF-50(s) showing career/conditional tenure and competitive service status Documentation for the Land Management Workforce Flexibility Act (LMWFA) eligibility, which includes ALL Appointment AND Termination SF-50s for EACH appointment as well as ALL performance evaluations, for each qualifying period of temporary employment claimed.
Visit our website for more information regarding appointment eligibility and requirements for documentation.
If you are relying on your education to meet qualification requirements:
Education must be accredited by an accrediting institution recognized by the U.S. Department of Education in order for it to be credited towards qualifications. Therefore, provide only the attendance and/or degrees from schools accredited by accrediting institutions recognized by the U.S. Department of Education.
Failure to provide all of the required information as stated in this vacancy announcement may result in an ineligible rating or may affect the overall rating.
A career with the U.S. Government provides employees with a comprehensive benefits package. As a federal employee, you and your family will have access to a range of benefits that are designed to make your federal career very rewarding. Learn more about federal benefits.
Review our benefits
Eligibility for benefits depends on the type of position you hold and whether your position is full-time, part-time, or intermittent. Contact the hiring agency for more information on the specific benefits offered.
- How to Apply
How to Apply
A complete application package must be received by 11:59 PM (EST) on 03/26/2018 to receive consideration.
- To begin, click Apply Online to create a USAJOBS account or log in to your existing account. Follow the prompts to select your USAJOBS resume and/or other supporting documents and complete the occupational questionnaire.
- Click the Submit My Answers button to submit your application package. It is your responsibility to ensure your responses and appropriate documentation is submitted prior to the closing date.
- To verify your application is complete, log into your USAJOBS account, https://my.usajobs.gov/Account/Login, select the Application Status link and then select the More Information link for this position. The* Details* page will display the status of your application, the documentation received and processed, and any correspondence the agency has sent related to this application. Your uploaded documents may take several hours to clear the virus scan process.
- To return to saved application at a later date, log into your USAJOBS account and click Update Application in the vacancy announcement. You must re-select your resume and/or other documents from your USAJOBS account or your application will be incomplete.
Agency contact information
Philadelphia Services Branch
Assateague Island National Seashore 7206 National Seashore Lane Berlin, MD US
Learn more about this agency
Once the online questionnaire is received you will receive an acknowledgement email that your submission was successful. Based upon your score, you may be referred to the hiring official. If your name is referred to the hiring official, you may be contacted directly by that office for a possible interview. You will receive notice once this process is completed (generally 4-6 weeks).
- Fair & Transparent
Fair & Transparent
The Federal hiring process is setup to be fair and transparent. Please read the following guidance.
Equal Employment Opportunity Policy
The United States Government does not discriminate in employment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy and gender identity), national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, genetic information, age, membership in an employee organization, retaliation, parental status, military service, or other non-merit factor.
- Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) for federal employees & job applicants
Reasonable Accommodation Policy
Federal agencies must provide reasonable accommodation to applicants with disabilities where appropriate. Applicants requiring reasonable accommodation for any part of the application and hiring process should contact the hiring agency directly. Determinations on requests for reasonable accommodation will be made on a case-by-case basis.
A reasonable accommodation is any change to a job, the work environment, or the way things are usually done that enables an individual with a disability to apply for a job, perform job duties or receive equal access to job benefits.
Under the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, federal agencies must provide reasonable accommodations when:
- An applicant with a disability needs an accommodation to have an equal opportunity to apply for a job.
- An employee with a disability needs an accommodation to perform the essential job duties or to gain access to the workplace.
- An employee with a disability needs an accommodation to receive equal access to benefits, such as details, training, and office-sponsored events.
You can request a reasonable accommodation at any time during the application or hiring process or while on the job. Requests are considered on a case-by-case basis.
Learn more about disability employment and reasonable accommodations or how to contact an agency.
Legal and regulatory guidance
- Financial suitability
- Social security number request
- Privacy Act
- Signature and false statements
- Selective Service
- New employee probationary period
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/493680100. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.
Open & closing dates: 03/13/2018 to 03/26/2018
Salary: $27.91 to $32.57 per hour
Pay scale & grade: WS 9
Work schedule: Full-Time
Appointment type: Permanent