U.S. Army Corps of Engineers Supervisory Interdisciplinary Engineering & Construction Division Chief in Wiesbaden, Germany
About the Position:
Who May Apply:
Only applicants who meet one of the employment authority categories below are eligible to apply for this job. You will be asked to identify which category or categories you meet, and to provide documents which prove you meet the category or categories you selected. See Proof of Eligibility for an extensive list of document requirements for all employment authorities.
Current Civilian Employee with the Department of the Army
Current Department of Defense (DOD) - Civilian Employee (non-Army)
Current Permanent Federal Civilian Employee (other than DOD)
Eligible under Veterans' Employment Opportunity Act (VEOA)
Eligible for overseas Military Spouse Preference
Eligible for overseas Family Member Preference
Eligible due to Interagency Career Transition Program (ICTAP)
Learn more about this agency
As Chief of the Engineering & Construction Division and a senior advisor to the Commander, you will:
Plan, organize, direct and coordinate a large and diverse engineering and construction program located in Europe and the Middle East.
Collaborate with the Commander on broad phases of planning, developing, and establishing engineering & construction policies for the District.
Make long-range plans for changes in functions & programs including projecting workload & manpower needs.
Obtain and allocate resources and associated funds necessary to support the organizational mission.
Implement guidance and policy for the integration of technology into the design of assigned programs.
Assure there is a balance between the policies established and the technical capability and capacity of the organizational structure and staffing.
Serve as the technical authority for the delineation of engineering and scientific disciplines which support the design and construction program.
Through subordinate supervisors, direct a workforce of 175-200 professional engineers, technicians, and support personnel.
Plan and assign work, establish priorities and deadlines.
Initiate and recommend personnel actions including selection of applicants, re-description of duties, disciplinary actions, etc.
Ensure proper training and development is provided.
Support equal employment opportunity and labor-management relations.
25% or less - Occasional travel - 25% Temporary Duty Travel/Business Travel (TDY)
Who May Apply
This job is open to…
Status Candidates (Merit Promotion and VEOA Eligibles)
Questions? This job is open to 2 groups.
- #### Job family (Series)
0810 Civil Engineering
0819 Environmental Engineering
0830 Mechanical Engineering
0850 Electrical Engineering
- Architectural Engineers
- Construction Engineers
- Electrical Engineers
- Engineers, Architectural
- Engineers, Construction
Conditions of Employment
- Must complete initial online questionnaire and additional assessment(s)
- Male applicants born after December 31, 1959 must complete a Pre-Employment Certification Statement for Selective Service Registration.
- You will be required to provide proof of U.S. Citizenship.
- One year trial/probationary period may be required.
- Direct Deposit of Pay is Required.
- This position is a Testing Designated Position (TDP).
- You must be able to Obtain and Maintain a Top Secret Clearance.
- A one year supervisory/managerial probationary period may be required.
- Incumbent is required to submit a Financial Disclosure Statement, OGE-450, (5 CFR Part 2634, Subpart I USOGE, 6/08). Executive Branch Personnel Confidential Financial Disclosure Report upon entering the position and annually, in accordance with DoD Directive 550-7-R, Joint Ethics Regulation, dated 23 March 2006.
- Must possess and maintain a valid stateside driver's license.
- Defense Acquisition Workforce Improvement Act (DAWIA) Career Field Position. Selectees must meet position requirements for certification at Level III in Acquisition Career Field of Facilities Engineering within 24 months of entrance on duty.
- This position is a Critical Acquisition Position (CAP). Acquisition Corps membership is required prior to appointment to a CAP unless a waiver is granted. All candidates who meet the basic qualification requirements will be considered. Subject to proof of membership, Acquisition Corps members from other services will be accepted by Army without additional review. Selectees must sign an Acquisition Corps written tenure agreement to remain in the Federal service in this position for at least 3 years.
In order to qualify, you must meet the education and/or experience requirements described below. Your resume must clearly describe your relevant experience; if qualifying based on education, your transcripts will be required as part of your application. Additional information about transcripts is in this document. You MUST submit a copy of your transcript with your application package or you will be rated ineligible.
ENGINEERING SERIES (0810,0830,0850,0819)
- Degree: professional engineering. To be acceptable, the curriculum must: (1) be in a school of engineering with at least one curriculum accredited by the Accreditation Board for Engineering and Technology (ABET) as a professional engineering curriculum; or (2) include differential and integral calculus and courses (more advanced than first-year physics and chemistry) in five of the following seven areas of engineering science or physics: (a) statics, dynamics; (b) strength of materials (stress-strain relationships); (c) fluid mechanics, hydraulics; (d) thermodynamics; (e) electrical fields and circuits; (f) nature and properties of materials (relating particle and aggregate structure to properties); and (g) any other comparable area of fundamental engineering science or physics, such as optics, heat transfer, soil mechanics, or electronics.
2.Combination of education and experience -- college-level education, training, and/or technical experience that furnished (1) a thorough knowledge of the physical and mathematical sciences underlying professional engineering, and (2) a good understanding, both theoretical and practical, of the engineering sciences and techniques and their applications to one of the branches of engineering. The adequacy of such background must be demonstrated by one of the following:
1.Professional registration -- Current registration as a professional engineer by any State, the District of Columbia, Guam, or Puerto Rico. Absent other means of qualifying under this standard, those applicants who achieved such registration by means other than written test (e.g., State grandfather or eminence provisions) are eligible only for positions that are within or closely related to the specialty field of their registration. For example, an applicant who attains registration through a State Board's eminence provision as a manufacturing engineer typically would be rated eligible only for manufacturing engineering positions.
2.Written Test-- Evidence of having successfully passed the Engineer-in-Training (EIT) examination, or the written test required for professional registration, which is administered by the Boards of Engineering Examiners in the various States, the District of Columbia, Guam, and Puerto Rico.
3.Specified academic courses -- Successful completion of at least 60 semester hours of courses in the physical, mathematical, and engineering sciences and in engineering that included the courses specified in the basic requirements. The courses must be fully acceptable toward meeting the requirements of a professional engineering curriculum as described above.
4.Related curriculum -- Successful completion of a curriculum leading to a bachelor's degree in engineering technology or in an appropriate professional field, e.g., physics, chemistry, architecture, computer science, mathematics, hydrology, or geology, may be accepted in lieu of a degree in engineering, provided the applicant has had at least 1 year of professional engineering experience acquired under professional engineering supervision and guidance. Ordinarily there should be either an established plan of intensive training to develop professional engineering competence, or several years of prior professional engineering-type experience, e.g., in interdisciplinary positions. (The above examples of related curricula are not all-inclusive.)
ARCHITECT SERIES (0808)
1.Degree: architecture; or related field that included 60 semester hours of course work in architecture or related disciplines of which at least (1) 30 semester hours were in architectural design, and (2) 6 semester hours were in each of the following: structural technology, properties of materials and methods of construction, and environmental control systems.
2.Combination of education and experience -- college-level education, training, and/or technical experience that furnished (1) a thorough knowledge of the arts and sciences underlying professional architecture, and (2) a good understanding, both theoretical and practical, of the architectural principles, methods, and techniques and their applications to the design and construction or improvement of buildings. The adequacy of such background must be demonstrated by at least one of the following:
1.Related Curriculum: Degree in architectural engineering may be accepted as satisfying in full the basic requirements, provided the completed course work in architectural engineering provided knowledge, skills, and abilities substantially equivalent to those provided in the courses specified in the above paragraph A.
2.Experience: An applicant lacking a degree in architecture must have had 1 year of experience in an architect's office or in architectural work for each year short of graduation from a program of study in architecture. In the absence of college courses, 5 years of such experience is required. This experience must have demonstrated that the applicant has acquired a thorough knowledge of the fundamental principles and theories of professional architecture.
Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service programs (e.g., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional; philanthropic; religious; spiritual; community; student; social). You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer experience.
To qualify based on your experience, your resume must describe at least one year of experience which prepared you to do the work in this job. Specialized experience is defined as: managing a multi-discipline engineering OR construction projects/program AND establishing operating guidelines, policies, goals and objectives for that organization; and experience acquiring and allocating resources. This definition of specialized experience is typical of work performed at the next lower grade/level position in the federal service (GS-14)
Selective Placement Factor:
IAW ER 1110-1-8152, this position requires the incumbent to possess a current & valid Professional Engineer Certificate or Architect Registration. A copy of this current & valid certificate/license MUST be submitted at the time of application. You MUST submit a copy of your license or certification with your application package or you will be rated ineligible.
Time in Grade Requirement: Applicants who have held a General Schedule (GS) position within the last 52 weeks must have 52 weeks of Federal service at the GS-14 grade (or equivalent).
Some federal jobs allow you to substitute your education for the required experience in order to qualify. For this job, you must meet the qualification requirement using experience alone--no substitution of education for experience is permitted.
- Selection is subject to restrictions resulting from Department of Defense referral system for displaced employees. If you have retired from federal service and you are interested in employment as a reemployed annuitant, see the information in the Reemployed Annuitantinformation sheet. This is a Career Program 18 position.Applicants must comply with the Exceptional Family Member Program requirements as outlined in the DoD Instruction 1315.19 athttp://www.dtic.mil/whs/directives/corres/pdf/131519p.pdf.U.S. citizens overseas under ordinarily resident status are not eligible for appointment under the Status of Forces Agreement.Locality pay does not apply in the overseas area.On this overseas accompanied tour, medical and DoDDS special education services may not be available in the immediate location of this position.In the overseas areas, access for civilian employees and their families to military medical and dental treatment facilities is on a space-available and reimbursable basis only. Medical care may be provided by host nation providers. The availability and level of care at host nation medical facilities will vary by location. Movement overseas may require you to initiate a change in your health benefits plan to ensure coverage.Pay retention may be offered to successful applicants for positions at overseas locations. For this provision to apply to employees already overseas, the selected individual would have to require a permanent change of station move and would have to be selected as a result of a recruitment effort that had been extended outside of the overseas command involved.For positions in a foreign country, that country's laws or international agreements may have a direct impact on the ability of an employee's same sex domestic partner or spouse to accompany the employee and receive certain benefits. If you believe you may be affected by these laws and agreements, you should familiarize yourself with relevant information before applying for or accepting this position.
How You Will Be Evaluated
You will be evaluated for this job based on how well you meet the qualifications above.
The assessments for this job will measure
- Leadership (60%): accountability, conflict management, creativity and innovation, developing others, flexibility, human capital management, interpersonal skills, and strategic thinking
- Technical (40%): skill in administration, skill in construction contracting
It is the policy of the Government not to deny employment simply because an individual has been unemployed or has had financial difficulties that have arisen through no fault of the individual. Information about an individual's employment experience will be used only to determine the person's qualifications and to assess his or her relative level of knowledge, skills, and abilities. Although an individual's personal conduct may be relevant in any employment decision, including conduct during periods of unemployment or evidence of dishonesty in handling financial matters, financial difficulty that has arisen through no fault of the individual will generally not itself be the basis of an unfavorable suitability or fitness determination.
Interagency Career Transition Assistance Program (ICTAP). If you are a Federal employee in the competitive service and your agency has notified you in writing that you are a displaced employee eligible for ICTAP consideration, you may receive selection priority. Additional information about the program is on OPM's Career Transition Resources website.
Background checks and security clearance
- Required Documents
The documents you are required to submit vary based on the authority you are using to apply (i.e., applying as a veteran, applying as a current permanent Federal employee, applying as a reinstatement, etc). Please review the following links to see which documents you need to provide to prove your eligibility to apply: Applicant Merit Checklist and Proof of Eligibility.
As described above, your complete application includes your resume, your responses to the online questionnaire, your completion of the USA Hire assessment, and documents which prove your eligibility to apply. * If you fail to provide these documents, you will be marked as having an incomplete application package and you will not be considered any further.*
- Your resume may be submitted in any format.
- If you submit more than one copy of your resume, only the most recent version will be reviewed. The latest timestamp will be used to determine which version of your resume is "most recent." It is your responsibility to check the status and timestamp of all documents you submit as part of your application.
- If your resume includes a photograph or other inappropriate material or content, it will not be used to make eligibility and qualification determinations and you may not be considered for this vacancy.
- For qualifications determinations your resume must contain hours worked per week and the dates of employment (i.e., HRS per week and month/year to month/year or month/year to present). If your resume does not contain this information, your application will be marked as incomplete and you will not receive consideration for this position.
- This position has an individual occupational requirement and/or allows for substitution of education for experience. If you meet this requirement based on education you MUST submit a copy of your transcript with your application package or you will be rated ineligible. See: Transcripts and Licenses
- This position requires a job-related license or certification. You MUST submit a copy of your license or certification with your application package or you will be rated ineligible. See: Transcripts and Licenses
Proof of Eligibility to Apply: Your application must include the documents which prove you are eligible to apply for the vacancy. The "Proof of Eligibility" document describes authorities commonly used in merit promotion recruitment and what document(s) are required to prove you meet the requirements of the authority. You must meet the requirements of at least one of the authorities listed in the Who May Apply section above to receive further consideration.
NOTE: Documents submitted as part of the application package, to include supplemental documents, may be shared beyond the Human Resources Office. Some supplemental documents such as military orders and marriage certificates may contain personal information for someone other than you. You may sanitize these documents to remove another person's personal information before you submit your application. You may be asked to provide an un-sanitized version of the documents if you are selected to confirm your eligibility.
If you are relying on your education to meet qualification requirements:
Education must be accredited by an accrediting institution recognized by the U.S. Department of Education in order for it to be credited towards qualifications. Therefore, provide only the attendance and/or degrees from schools accredited by accrediting institutions recognized by the U.S. Department of Education.
Failure to provide all of the required information as stated in this vacancy announcement may result in an ineligible rating or may affect the overall rating.
A career with the U.S. Government provides employees with a comprehensive benefits package. As a federal employee, you and your family will have access to a range of benefits that are designed to make your federal career very rewarding. Learn more about federal benefits.
The Department of Defense offers an excellent benefits program. In addition to your take-home pay, your comprehensive compensation/benefits package will include most of the benefits described in the USAJOBS Resource Center.
Eligibility for benefits depends on the type of position you hold and whether your position is full-time, part-time, or intermittent. Contact the hiring agency for more information on the specific benefits offered.
- How to Apply
How to Apply
To apply for this position, You must apply to vacancy announcement EUJD18USHIREINTERDIS https://www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/496058700, complete the initial online questionnaire technical competencies, complete the USACE Managerial Situational Judgment Test, and submit the documentation specified in the Required Documents section below. The complete application package must be submitted by 11:59 PM (ET) on Friday, May 04, 2018 to receive consideration. The application process will follow the numbers/bullets outlined below.
- > 1. Click Apply Online to create a USAJOBS account or log in to your existing account. Follow the prompts to select your USAJOBS resume and/or other supporting documents and complete the initial online questionnaire.
- Click the Submit My Answers button to submit your application package. It is your responsibility to ensure your responses and appropriate documentation is submitted prior to the closing date.
- If you log into your USAJOBS account, https://my.usajobs.gov/Account/Login, select the Application Status link and then select the more information link for this position. The Details page will display the status of your application, the documentation received and processed, and any correspondence the agency has sent related to this application. Your uploaded documents may take several hours to clear the virus scan process.
- To return to an incomplete application, log into your USAJOBS account and click Update Application in the vacancy announcement. You must re-select your resume and/or other documents from your USAJOBS account or your application will be incomplete.
- When you receive a notification from your USAJOBS account it may indicate that your application is complete after you submit the initial online questionnaire and documentation, however, your application will NOT be complete until you have successfully completed the next step described below.
- Complete the USACE Managerial Situational Judgment Test, if you meet minimum qualifications.
Minimum Qualifications: If you respond to the technical questionnaire that you:
- Meet any positive education requirements,
- Meet the specialized experience requirements,
- Meet any selective placement factors, AND
- Acknowledge all conditions of employment
you will have met the minimum qualifications for this job and will receive an email from assessments@USAHire.opm.gov with a link to take the USACE Managerial Situational Judgment Test. Please plan to set aside at least 3 hours for the USACE Managerial Situational Judgment Test; however, most applicants complete the assessments in less time.
- This assessment must be completed within 48 hours after the close of this Job Announcement to be eligible for consideration for this position.
- The email with the link will be sent to your email of record within your USAJOBS account. The email with the link may appear in your "junk" or "spam" folders.
- If you have not received the link to the assessment 24 hours prior to the closing date of this job announcement and you believe that you meet the minimum qualifications for the position, you MUST contact*HelpDesk@USAHire.opm.gov* BEFORE the announcement closes to request the invitation to be re-sent.
- If you believe, for any reason, that you should have received the link and you did not, you should contact*HelpDesk@USAHire.opm.gov* 24 hours prior to the closing date of this job opportunity announcement.
- Your results will be kept on record for use when applying for future jobs that require the USACE Managerial Situational Judgment Test. You will not be allowed to retake the test for one year.
Reasonable Accommodation Requests: If you believe you have a disability (i.e., physical or mental), covered by the Rehabilitation Act of 1973 as amended and Americans with Disabilities Act 1990 as amended, that would interfere with completing the USACE Managerial Situational Judgment Test, click here for more information about the request process: http://www.usajobs.gov/content/pdfs/USAHireReasonableAccommodation.pdf. Requests for Reasonable Accommodations for the USACE Managerial Situational Judgment Test must be received before the JOA closes to be considered for this job opening. Decisions on requests for Reasonable Accommodations are made on a case-by-case basis. After notification of the adjudication of your request, you will receive an email invitation to complete the USACE Managerial Situational Judgment Test. If the email invitation is sent prior to the close of the Job Opportunity Announcement to which you applied, you must complete all of the assessments within 48 hours of the closing of the Job Opportunity Announcement. If the email invitation is sent after the close of the Job Opportunity Announcement to which you applied, you must complete all of the assessments within 48 hours from the time the email is sent.
Agency contact information
Central Resume Processing Center
DA EUR Wiesbaden Please contact by email Aberdeen Proving Ground, MD
Learn more about this agency
If you meet the minimum qualifications for this job, you will receive an email from assessments@USAHire.opm.gov with a link to take the USACE Managerial Situational Judgment Test.
Minimum Qualifications - If you respond to the technical questionnaire that you: 1. Meet any positive education requirements, 2. Meet the specialized experience requirements, 3. Meet any selective placement factors, AND 4. Acknowledge all conditions of employment you will have met the minimum qualifications for this job, and will receive an email from assessments@USAHire.opm.gov with a link to take the USACE Managerial Situational Judgment Test.
This assessment MUST be completed within 48 hours after the close of this job opportunity announcement in order to be eligible for this position.
The email with the link will be sent to your email of record within your USAJOBS account. The email with the link may appear in your "junk" or "spam" folder. Please ensure you monitor your "junk" and "spam" folders carefully.
If you have not received the link to the assessment 24 hours prior to the closing date of this job opportunity announcement and you believe that you meet the minimum qualifications for the position, you MUST contact*HelpDesk@USAHire.opm.gov* to request the invitation to be re-sent. Requests to re-send the invitations to the USACE MSJT must be received by firstname.lastname@example.org BEFORE the close of the job opportunity announcement.
If you believe for any reason that you should have received the link and you did not, you should contact HelpDesk@USAHire.opm.gov 24 hours prior to the closing date of this job opportunity announcement to request the invitation to be re-sent. The documents you submit must support your responses to the online questionnaire. If your application contradicts or does not support your questionnaire responses, you will receive a rating of "not qualified" or "incomplete application" and you will not receive further consideration for this job.
- Fair & Transparent
Fair & Transparent
The Federal hiring process is setup to be fair and transparent. Please read the following guidance.
Equal Employment Opportunity Policy
The United States Government does not discriminate in employment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy and gender identity), national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, genetic information, age, membership in an employee organization, retaliation, parental status, military service, or other non-merit factor.
- Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) for federal employees & job applicants
Reasonable Accommodation Policy
Federal agencies must provide reasonable accommodation to applicants with disabilities where appropriate. Applicants requiring reasonable accommodation for any part of the application and hiring process should contact the hiring agency directly. Determinations on requests for reasonable accommodation will be made on a case-by-case basis.
A reasonable accommodation is any change to a job, the work environment, or the way things are usually done that enables an individual with a disability to apply for a job, perform job duties or receive equal access to job benefits.
Under the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, federal agencies must provide reasonable accommodations when:
- An applicant with a disability needs an accommodation to have an equal opportunity to apply for a job.
- An employee with a disability needs an accommodation to perform the essential job duties or to gain access to the workplace.
- An employee with a disability needs an accommodation to receive equal access to benefits, such as details, training, and office-sponsored events.
You can request a reasonable accommodation at any time during the application or hiring process or while on the job. Requests are considered on a case-by-case basis.
Learn more about disability employment and reasonable accommodations or how to contact an agency.
Legal and regulatory guidance
- Financial suitability
- Social security number request
- Privacy Act
- Signature and false statements
- Selective Service
- New employee probationary period
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/496058800. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.
Open & closing dates: 04/16/2018 to 05/04/2018
Salary: $105,123 to $136,659 per year
Pay scale & grade: GS 15
Work schedule: Full-Time - Full Time
Appointment type: Permanent